Public Housing
families living in Public Housing units across the nation.

The Manhattan Housing Authority's Public Housing communities consist of one high-rise and one mid-rise apartment building,
two communities with duplex/fourplex buildings and two communities of town home units.  

Public Housing units are generally owned and operated by a local Public Housing Authority, or PHA.  PHA's receive operating
subsidy from HUD and, combined with rental revenues, use the funding to maintain and manage the properties.  HUD and the
U.S. Congress establish the regulatory guidelines that govern how the PHA operates.

What happens after I apply for Public Housing?   

After you have applied for Public Housing you will be placed on a waiting list.  You will be contacted by mail when you are
approaching the top of the waiting list in order to determine your eligibility.

How is eligibility for Public Housing determined?

Eligibility for Public Housing is based on several factors.  To be eligible, the applicant must be a U.S. citizen or have eligible
immigration status.  Applicants must also be at or below the income guideline for the PHA's jurisdiction.  Applicants are also
screened for criminal history prior to admission to the Public Housing program.  Applicants must provide proper documentation
to verify eligibility requirements as requested by the PHA.  These documents will include, but are not limited to:  birth
certificates, Social Security cards, landlord references, verification of all forms of household income and verification of assets.  
The Housing Authority will notify you when your determination of eligibility is completed.

After you have been determined eligible for Public Housing, you will be assigned to a unit which matches the number of
bedrooms required for your family.  The time between when you are determined eligible and when you move in depends on
when a vacant unit can be readied for move in.

How much will my rent be?

There are two rent calculation options for Public Housing, Income Based and Flat Rent.  The amount of rent you pay will be
determined by which option you choose, and by the amount of your income.  Income based rent is based on 30% of your
adjusted monthly income (other deductions may apply).  If you choose Income Based rent and your income changes, you are
required to report the change to the Housing Authority so that your rent can be re-calculated.  If you choose Flat Rent, you
are still required to report any changes in your income; however, your rent amount will not change.  The Public Housing
Manager will explain the rent calculation process in much greater detail once you are determined eligible so that you can
choose the rent option that is best for you.
electric or gas utilities, as these are paid by the Housing Authority.  If you are placed at one of the Housing Authority's other
communities, you will be required to pay gas and electric utilities (water, sewer and trash are paid by the Housing Authority).  
These utilities must be placed in the resident's name before moving in to a unit and must be kept on at all times.

Will I be required to pay a Security Deposit?

Yes, a Security Deposit is required.  Security Deposits are different for each bedroom size and each Public Housing
community.  The Housing Authority will allow residents to make payments over the first four months of their lease in order to
pay the Security Deposit.  However, you
must pay a minimum of 1/4 of the Security Deposit and all of your first months rent
before being allowed to move in to Public Housing.

The Housing Authority may have grant funds to assist with your Security Deposit through the Tenant Based Rental
Assistance (TBRA) program grant.  Ask the Public Housing Manager for more information about TBRA funding availability
prior to moving in.