Section 8
Housing Choice Voucher
Housing and Urban Development's (HUD) major program for assisting very meets all program requirements.

Section 8 HCV programs are generally administered by a local Public Housing Authority, or PHA.   PHA's operating a Section 8
HCV program receive funding, as determined by HUD, in the form of Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) funds to provide rental
assistance, as well as funds to administer the program. HUD and the U.S. Congress establish the regulatory guidelines that
govern how the PHA administers the program.

What happens after I apply for Section 8 HCV?   

After you have applied for the program you will be placed on a waiting list.  You will be contacted by mail when you are
approaching the top of the waiting list in order to determine your eligibility.  The Section 8 HCV program waiting list can vary from
a few months in smaller jurisdictions to several years in larger cities.

How is eligibility for Section 8 HCV determined?

Eligibility for the program is based on several factors.  To be eligible, the applicant must be a U.S. citizen or have eligible
immigration status.  Applicants must also be at or below the income guideline for the PHA's jurisdiction.  Applicants are also
screened for criminal history prior to admission to the Section 8 HCV program.  Applicants must provide proper documentation to
verify eligibility requirements as requested by the PHA.  These documents will include, but are not limited to:  birth certificates,
Social Security cards, verification of all forms of household income and verification of assets.  The Housing Authority will notify
you when your determination of eligibility is completed.
When do I receive my Housing Choice Voucher?

When your name is approaching the top of the waiting list you will be sent a letter requesting verification documents.  After you
have been determined eligible for the program, you will be issued a voucher to search for a unit.  You will also receive guidance
on the rent amount that would be acceptable for your voucher size and amount of income as you search for a suitable rental unit.

How much will my rent be?

The portion of rent you pay will depend on several factors, including the number of bedrooms needed for your family, the actual
rent amount for the unit, the type of utilities you will pay for the unit, and your total household income.  Generally, you pay 30%
of your monthly adjusted income, less any deductions for utility allowance.  The rent calculation process will be explained in
much greater detail by the Section 8 Coordinator as you go through the verification process.

Landlord on time; Landlords may charge program participants any applicable charges for late rent as they would any tenant,
Will I be required to sign a lease?

Yes, all program participants must sign a lease for the unit they receive assistance for.  Landlords are also required to sign a
Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) contract which states the Landlord's obligations as a participant in the program.

Will I be required to pay utilities?

This will depend entirely upon the rental unit you choose. Our Utility Allowances for type of unit and unit size can be seen below.  
Any utilities that are considered tenant responsibility under the lease agreement must be turned on in the program participant's
name and maintained at all times.

Utility Allowances

Will I be required to pay a Security Deposit?

Yes, a Security Deposit is required.  The Security Deposit amount will depend on the rental unit you choose, but is generally
equal to one month's rent.  Program participants are responsible for the full Security Deposit amount, regardless of what their
portion of rent will be.  You must also pay your portion of the first month's rent before moving into a unit.

The Housing Authority may have grant funds to assist with your Security Deposit through the Tenant Based Rental Assistance
(TBRA) program grant.  Ask the Section 8 Coordinator for more information about TBRA funding availability prior to moving in.